Formerly sneered at as the mediocre output of 50’s housewives, casseroles have come back in style. Any devoted potlucker will tell you that casseroles work great for group dinners, as they are portable, sizable, and play well with other foods.
And yummy, did I mention yummy? For a little taste of the retro and a big taste of delicious, check out these five casserole recipes picked fresh from blogging kitchens. (Where’s my floral apron…)
– A little on the stew side, a little on the casserole side, Rachael over at Cupcakes and Carrot Sticks shares with us a Hungarian Casserole perfect for those of us suffering through freeze and snow. This veggie casserole seems to be made up of things that most people have on hand in their stocked fridge and kitchen cupboards, but in case you don’t have caraway seeds, definitely get some before making the recipe. Their presence is missed when they’re left out.
– Okay, I used to be a green bean hater when I was a kid, but don’t tell Cuisine by Eileen, cause I think she might bury me up to the neck in green beans. I’ve reformed, Eileen! And I would have even earlier if I had been privy to all the delicious green bean recipes that you have in your cooking arsenal, especially the grilled eggplant and green bean salad and the barbecue green beans.
– Is there any casserole more retro seeming than a Tuna Veggie Casserole? I didn’t think so. Tammy @ Palm Trees and Manatees offers up a good version. A little canned and frozen food heavy, but I don’t think she’ll mind if you guys substitute the fresh stuff.
– Still one of my recent favorite casseroles to come by, Midnight Maniac Rebecca shakes up the ol’ chicken casserole with her “Chicken” Lattice Casserole. It’s every bit as old timey and adorable as Rebecca is, and the photographs alone are worth checking out.
– Holy Christmas, Hungry Face! That is one stellar looking Breakfast Casserole. But cutting down the brown sugar by half? I don’t know if I can abide by that, even if it would help me get rid of my big fat dupa.