This is a speed post, mostly because I stayed up too late watching The Social Network, thus waking up late and preventing a pre-work good morning post of any substantial length. (By and by, definitely catch the movie if you have the time. It’s well worth several paragraphs of discussion, none of which I have the time to provide this morning, but trust me, it’s very, very good.)
Basically, I’ve decided that pancakes, for as delicious as they can be, are a pain in the butt to make. They are strictly a weekend breakfast for me, as they have neither the quick-cooking time to properly make them on a workday morning, and they’re also not a thing you can just gobble down, not if you don’t want syrup all over yourself. As for microwave pancakes and pancake-esque products (“A sausage wrapped in pancake… for the microwave… shudder….”), thanks, but no thanks.
Still, can’t argue with these little sweeties. Make ’em this morning for your Valentine, provided that you both get to sleep in a little.
Vegan Strawberry-Banana Hotcakes
– 1 1/2 cup flour
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– A generous pinch of salt
– 1 cup vanilla non-dairy milk
– 3 tbsp oil
– 1 banana
– 5 to 6 whole strawberries, chopped up fine
– 3 tbsp sugar
– In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Blend or mix together the oil, milk, banana, sugar, and strawberries until completely combined. Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just mixed.
– Drop by 1/4 cups onto a heated, non-stick pan. Flip when bubbles start forming on the top.
– Serve with strawberries, syrup, strawberry syrup. If you want to a) forget the whole “breakfast” part of your breakfast and b) get totally decadent, add chocolate chips to the equation.