I woke up this morning with a serious craving for pancakes. This always seems to happen when I’m coming out of a sickness. I remember coming out of a really bad flu a couple of years ago, and on the first day I was able to leave my apartment, the only thing I wanted was Oreos and milk. Even in colds, I tend to eat very light when sick, so I think it’s my natural urge to indulge in something a little less healthy, a little more substantial, and like any childish adult, get a treat for undergoing even the mildest of ordeals.
Anyway, the pancake. Seeing as how I refuse to 1) get up at 6:00 in the morning so that I can get a decent diner pancake breakfast before work, 2) get up early enough to make my own pancakes before work, and 3) eat pancakes from McDonald’s or any other fast food institution, I’m going to have to wait till later in the day to get my pancake fix. (If I get it today at all – I may just wait for tomorrow morning, when I have off and can leisurely make my way into the kitchen for a proper homemade pancake breakfast.)
Till then, let’s indulge in some pancake-porn and recipe ideas. If you’ve got the time, maybe cook up a batch and save one for me, okay?
– Food Lover makes some heart-shaped pancakes that are as adorable as they are delicious-looking. While I could go for some hearty American pancakes right now, my preferred pancake is the English style (as noted in the article, similar to the French crepe) as it is thin, versatile, and fast-cooking. Some might quibble about this being labeled as a “romantic dessert” (after all, it is a pancake), but I can guarantee that warm feelings would be stirring inside of me if someone whipped up a batch of these for me.
– Dee Dee @ Dee Dee’s Delights tried to raise morale at her family health center with this Pancake and Sausage Casserole . Not exactly healthy, but hey, everyone should be allowed a heavy dose of sugar and fats around the holidays. Wanna go veg? I’m betting this recipe would work just fine with soy sausage. Substitute the dairy products for full on veganization. Consider my spirits lifted already, Dee!
– Want something a little different, but still recognizably a pancake? Try this recipe for Taro Pancakes at My Kitchen’s Flavors. A little lighter and fluffier than the average pancakes, these look especially delicious accompanied by blueberries and homemade whipped cream, and they’re especially good for those on the lookout for gluten-free pancakes.
– Is there a better food blog name than Food Perestroika? If you haven’t considered adding Eastern Bloc cuisine to your repertoire, perhaps the knowledgable folks at this blog can convince you otherwise. They’ve got me salivating over Russian pancakes, namely their many variations on the Blini (called Oladi if yeast-free), especially the hearty potato blini (pictured above).
– How about a delicious vegan pancake, courtesy Jenn in Australia? Having relocated from Canada, she only recently reunited with molasses, an item that Australians are apparently too busy eating vegemite to have any knowledge of. I’m making these Molasses Banana pancakes as soon as I get some spelt flour (although you can use whatever flour you prefer). Let’s hope I don’t burn the molasses!